History

History

 

The history of the Eaton Funeral Home dates back to 1898 when J.T. Williams began the undertaking business in Sullivan. He operated the undertaking business in several locations before moving it to his home at 347 North Clark.

 

There have been three major remodeling programs since 1948. The first in 1949 when the original building was remodeled to accommodate a new chapel, embalming facilities and selection room.

 

 In 1962, an attractive addition was constructed on the north side of the building. In 1992, major renovations were done to the interior with enhanced decor and the addition of new state-of-the-art embalming facilities and handicap accessibility.

 

Harrison Eaton operated the firm until his death in 1989.  His son, Jim, and his wife, Mary Ann, continued to own and operate the funeral home until their retirement in 2016. For nearly 60 years, the Eaton family tended to the needs of bereaved families in a caring and professional manner.

 

The funeral home was purchased from Jim and Mary Ann Eaton this past fall 2016 by the Toews (pronounced "Taves") family.  Travis and Shanna along with their young family, and Travis’ parents, Leroy & Sharon, continue a heritage of family service to the area families of Sullivan, Bourbon, and surrounding communities.

 

The business is nearing its 120th year of operation. During this span of time, ownership of the funeral home has been with just three families, the Williams, Eatons, and now the Toews family. The Eaton Funeral Home today is an integral part of the community's history.

© Eaton Funeral Home | Sullivan, MO - Funeral Home Website Design By Frazer Consultants